DIY: Hair Ribbon Headband

Monday, March 19
DSC_0063


When I first saw this photo of Paris Hilton, I was inspired to do a DIY series on "How to wear a black ribbon in different ways", before I realised that they're probably all obvious and self-explanatory. I mean, how hard is it to think of and execute tying a ribbon in your hair or wearing it under the collar of your shirt as a bow? So the next day I did just that. I tied a ribbon around my head and strutted around (haha). What I didn't realise was how annoying it was to keep having to retie it when it slipped off even when tacked down with a bajillion bobby pins. Plus bobby pins kind of ruin the whole 'clean lines' thing. I don't know, maybe it's just my egg-shaped head, but turning the ribbon into a head band means I can now wear it further towards the back of my head without ugly hair pins showing and with no fear of it slipping off!
DSC_0041
You will need: Headband, craft glue, scissors, cotton buds (not pictured), good quality ribbon. Don't use the craft kind because those ribbons are not as soft and don't tie nicely. I used 1m of ribbon, but the length you use depends on whether you like the ribbon ends to dance around your neck or trail down your back. Tip: the width of the ribbon should be just wider than the width of your headband. The ribbon I used measured 2.5cm wide.

DSC_0034
Snip of the end of the ribbon along a slant (for aesthetic purposes). Hold the end close to a candle flame to seal the edges. Do not let the flame touch the ribbon.

DSC_0046
Start at the top of the headband. Apply a small blob of glue to the headband and spread it out thinly using a cotton bud. Do not use too much glue at one time otherwise the glue will seep through the ribbon. Press the ribbon onto the headband. Continue this process slowly down each side of the headband.

DSC_0050
Let it dry overnight and your headband is ready to wear.

DSC_0059

DSC_0057

31 comments:

  1. What a cute and simple DIY! I'm totally bookmarking this to use in the future <3
    Adore your little chair necklace too

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yay simple diys are often the best diys :D

      Delete
  2. loveee this DIY! Definitely will give it a try some time soon :D :D
    and your chair necklace is just the most adorable thing Fiona :)
    hope you've been well and smiling! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks julie, it's always great to hear from you :)

      Delete
  3. I always love DIY posts! They are so creative and inspirational :)
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, I see a lot of DIYs that I'd love to do but they either look too hard or I never have the materials on hand :(

      Delete
  4. Omgsh, I wish you posted this up earlier because I recently purchased headbands like that :(. Oh well, nonetheless, it is a creative DIY project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's an awesome DIY project. :D
    I can't help but smiling when I read your post labels. I'm a big fan of chair too. Greatest couple. :p

    Come and hail to my cruise, yo mates!
    Ahoy,Keenan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww.. this is so cute .. love ur diy band... also i so liked the blue top wid bow in one prev post... .. nice blog if u like mine too may b v can follow each othr
    http://lets-doll-up.blogspot.com/

    A giveaway too on ma blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour you chose babe & it's such a good idea. :D

    Also, your necklace, how gorgeous. <3 xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the tip! Tying a ribbon around my head has proved unsuccessful many times over, I'll have to give it a shot. Also, that's an adorable necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!


    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really nice and easy too! :) Will definitely do this!

    www.forest-doll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good idea, I love the result !!

    ♥ ♥ ♥ http://jehaislamode.blogspot.com/ ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! your necklace is also TOO CUTE! Little chair!
    <3

    XOXOJOANNIE
    ANURBAN-EXPLORER.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats a great idea, it looks like the ribbon is tied into your hair with no support:p

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so cute! I really like your chair necklace as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats so cool that you did it nicely! i made a feather headband before and the glue totally seeped through the ribbon and it was a fail :((((

    http://sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. enjoyed the step by step of your diy. and the way how you wore it is so pretty!

    Parade of Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing <333 nice post :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a cute hairpiece, and i am obsessing over that little chair necklace.

    - Marie
    So What If I Like Pretty Things

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are so creative ♥
    mind to follow each other?
    claireteressa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is pretty nifty! I don't really tie up my hair though, so I wouldn't be able to show off the bow at the back. I love your necklace, it's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your necklace! So crazy and cool! Want this, too! :)
    Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats really clever!! Ahhh you are amazing at DIY. keep the good work up <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is soo cute and inspiringg!! *____*

    check out my blog when you can :)
    http://thesimplesophistication.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhh! Totally good idea! thanks BTW for you comment on my blog loafers are still new to me.

    Jayve

    WWW.aworldofjayve.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for brightening my day ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...